Well, self-publishing a book on Google Play Books Store is pretty simple now compared to three years back when I had to submit an application online and had to wait for weeks to get approval to open an account on Google play books Partner Center where Google Books staff first used to check our personal details like who we are, which book we have written and how many books we want to publish and then they used to approve us to make an account on Google Books Partner Center to publish our own book.
The process was strict then because many people were publishing duplicate content, the works of other authors and were earning money.
But now it is so simple to publish on Google Books.
Google Play book store is one of the best online eBook publishing platforms, here you can price your eBooks minimum price whatever you want which is a big thing as the other online publishing platforms like Amazon KDP and Kobo don’t allow you to lower your eBook price under a certain limit which is a big flaw if you are a new author and want to reach more readers.
So let’s get started.
How to self-publish a book on google play: Step by Step
1. Sign Up for a Partner account.
For Creating your Partner account search Google books partner centre or click here
Now select self-published author cause you are not a publisher or a distributor, you are selling your own book here. But if you are selling someone else book and want to start your publishing house then you can select publisher option.
2. Fill your financial details
3. Add a Book
Now Its time to add your book,You can see below, I have already added my own book, The Drunken Ghost in Google Play Books Store.
In your case, you will see this empty space, Click on Book Catalog and then add your first book
After clicking on Add Book you will see a page like this,
Now If you have an ISBN for your book then you can enter here, but if you don’t have any then yet you don’t need to worry cause Google has its own ISBN alternative which is called GGKEY and Google Books provide it to everyone for free.
So simply select Get a Google Book Id and google Play Books will provide you with a unique book ID for your book same as ISBN, which they call GGKEY but it will only be used at Google services.
By the way, if you are confused by the name ISBN then let me tell you in simple word ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number. It is a numeric commercial book identifier which is unique to every book. You can know more about ISBN on the web.
4. Fill in your eBook Info, Description and Details.
About the book contains these following queries:
- Title- Enter your book title here but if you yet not have decided your book title than let me tell you it needs to be small, simple and unique. So take your time and coin a killer title.
- Subtitle– Enter a sweet and simple subtitle.
- Description– The book blurb is also one of the important parts of a book publishing process to fill because the blurb, the description is one of the first elements of a book which will attract the readers and will invite them to read the whole book so make sure you are writing an awesome book blurb.
- And Publisher name, Date of Book first published Book Language, Page Count, Book Format, Series number if any and Related Book-If there are other ISBN related with this book.
Choose Genre for your book:
Select relevant Genres for your book and choose many and wisely because Genres play an important role in the sales of the book. It helps books to rank and appear in Google Books search results genre categories. So choose many but not irrelevant genres to your book.
Enter Contributors name
Enter Contributors name for your book if any like your book editor name, the illustrators, the translators so do give them the credit and fill a short author Biography
- Apply DRM encryption– Select “Yes” as it will restrict anyone to download and copy your book content and use it anywhere without your consent.
- Preview limit– Select a 20 percent Preview limit which is a minimum limit, by the way, preview helps readers to take a glimpse of your book without the need to buy it, by the way, you can make your book preview limit to 100 percent.
- Copy/Paste limit– You can allow readers to copy you book some or whole content. So 0 percent is recommended to restrict and misuse of your book content.
- Create a flowable text– Select Yes
- Territories– Select World
- Allow PDF download of your book- Select Yes/No as you want
5. Upload your book and Cover files
In this section you need to provide three files:
Your Book Front cover image (In .JPG, PNG, JPEG, PDF)
Your Book interior file ( In EPUB or PDF )
Your Book Back Cover Image (Optional)
Here things are little complicated as the upload format is like running on old software or something because here you don’t get a separate button for uploading your front cover, the interior file and back cover as you have to upload all the files at the same place but with a specific extension name to let Google Books understand which file is for what. like for interior eg. bookname_interior.pdf, bookname_frontcover.pdf etc You can read the whole process here
6. Book Pricing
Now set a good reasonable price for your book and here you also get the option to set different prices for every country so like you can set up USA Google Books market price at $ 2 and Indian Google Books market price at $ 0.99. So it is a good way to set up a specific price at the leading books marketplaces and the places where the readers are easily ready to pay a high price for your book.
Royalty paid in Google Play Books:
- The Standard default revenue split which is paid to partners is 52%
- But partners can also earn 70% royalty if you set your price for three countries like Australia, Canada and the USA under given below range.